Author: Gwen Mitchell
Narrator: Daniela Acitelli
Length: 11 hours 52 minutes
Series: Skydancer, Book 1
Publisher: T. M. Miller
Released: Feb. 14, 2018
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Briana turned her back on her magical heritage to chase her dream career, but now a spell cast with her grandmother’s dying breath has unleashed her dormant Oracle powers, drawing her into a world of dangerous power and cryptic prophecy.
Thanks to her family’s tragic history, Bri is a pariah in her hometown, and the only other witches she can turn to are her childhood best friend, Astrid, and Kean–her first love. They are convinced it’s destiny that has reunited them and determined to help break the curse on Bri’s bloodline.
But the longer she stays, the more people die.
Tortured by chaotic visions of fire and blood, Bri must harness her magic and navigate the dangerous waters of her past–and past life–to unmask the evil hunting in her shadow before it kills the only loved ones she has left.
Because she has a secret of her own. One she already died to protect. And as memories of her ancient rival become clear, so does her grim future…unless she can change it.
Gwen is living her happily ever after in Seattle. She’s a nature lover, science geek, and spiritual explorer, with a nose for well-aged tequila and a pin-up fashion obsession. When not chasing butterflies to hidden waterfalls or cavorting through the Emerald City, she can be found in a cozy chair reading, or brewing up tales of magic, adventure, and romance.
Daniela Acitelli is a professional Audiobook Narrator / Voice Over Artist with a Theatre, Film, Cabaret and Circus background. You can find her on Audible, Itunes and Amazon. She also narrates for the RNIB, SpokenRealms, Deyan and Whitehouse publishing.
Daniela is an actress with a stage background trained in the Meisner technique and Lee Strasberg’s “Method” acting. She has a background in and a great love of Cabaret and Vaudeville including the old time concert saloon, minstrelsy, circus acts, dime museums, and literary American burlesque shows.
- Physical Description: Tall, dancer’s build, green eyes, wild auburn curls (that she usually keeps tamed/straight) and freckles.
- Profession: Concert Pianist
- Zyne Rank: 13th Degree Oracle
- Magical Gift: Death Omens
- Sign: Gemini
- MBTI Type: ESTJ
- Likes: classical music, art & culture, museums, spas, organizing/planning
- Dislikes: cooking, roughing it, dangerous/thrill-seeking activities
- Favorite movie: Casablanca
- Favorite food: Astrid’s clam chowder
- Sits down at a bar and orders: Iced Tea with Lemon
- Physical Description: Tall, ruggedly built, shaggy sandy brown hair, hazel eyes, boyishly handsome.
- Profession: Firefighter
- Zyne Rank: 9th Degree Ward
- Magical Gift: Fading (at great distances and blind)
- Sign: Taurus
- MBTI Type: ISFJ
- Likes: outdoor activities (rock climbing, kayaking), crime thrillers, playing with his dogs, big family dinners
- Dislikes: paperwork, tattletales, and anyone who dates his sister (or Astrid)
- Favorite movie: Gladiator
- Favorite food: Grilled steak
- Sits down at a bar and orders: Local Microbrew
- Physical Description: Petite, deep blue eyes, platinum blonde hair dyed several colors, piercings and tattoos to harden her eternally youthful looks.
- Profession: Chef / Pub Owner
- Zyne Rank: 10th Degree Summoner
- Magical Gift: Weather Control
- Sign: Scorpio
- MBTI Type: ESTP
- Likes: all animals, cooking, running, any and all community gatherings, festivals, and parties
- Dislikes: being alone, sports bars, hot/dry climates
- Favorite movie: Pulp Fiction
- Favorite food: anything you can wrap in a pie crust
- Sits down at a bar and orders: asks the bartender to make their signature cocktail
Gwen Mitchell’s Top 10 Author Who Inspire Her:
- Ilona Andrews – the action and pacing are amazing!
- Kresley Cole – romantic tension that gives you butterflies, and her sense of humor.
- Marion Zimmer Bradley – masterful narrator voice.
- Diana Gabaldon – Description, description, description. Also how to be an adult in relationships.
- Marjorie Liu – beautiful writing. Vocab envy!
- JK Rowling – world building.
- Jacquline Carey – ALL OF THE ABOVE.
- Kim Harrison – mutli-titlle character arcs.
- Meljean Brook – characterization.
- Elizabeth Hunter – forging the path for indies everywhere.
She searched the dais for the man who had taken said confession. Father Dolores oversaw the proceedings with a look of cold detachment. Vivianne’s heart throbbed with fury as she stared into his eyes and glimpsed the shadow floating in their depths. She had tested her mettle against the darkness consuming him, while he had delighted in watching the breaking of her flesh and repeated violations of her body. Still, she had emerged the victor. Unclaimed. Unbroken. The strength of her bond to Lucas—the very thing that made her an outcast among her own people—had helped her to withstand the Dark One’s treachery and keep her family’s secret safe. She had broken many rules, but her vow to protect the Legacy still held fast. For that, she would burn.
What does it mean to protect a relic that has been passed down from generation to generation in your family? Knowing that some of your family members have died to protect this thing can be an enormous burden on your shoulders. Would you do the same? What would happen if you failed? Mitchell has an interesting spin on this new urban fantasy world shrouded with mystery, betrayal and secrets.
Briana has a nice, cushy lifestyle in Sydney, while everyone whom she ever loved remains in tight knit covens within the States. What does it mean to run away from your life? To run away from the every fiber of your conscience that tells you who you are and where you belong? Knowing that something is missing, Briana lives her life the best she can, but doesn’t realize how truly unhappy she is until she heads back to the states after seeing her grandmother in spirit after her passing. What Briana doesn’t expect is to be placed right back into the life that she so missed–as if she’d never left. Her friends are the same, her family is the same and the people in the town are the same, forever fearful of the curse that is supposedly tied to her family. When more people in the town start dying, Briana has no choice, but to stay and figure out how to defeat the murderer.
Mitchell has a enjoyable, creative and original urban fantasy novel with this first installment. The character development is great and the pace is genuinely pleasant. There are a lot of mysteries that are still present which leaves the reader wanting to read the second installment which can be quite a good quality. Unfortunately, the narrator’s take of certain personalities in this book was a bit disturbing. The character voice relay was very light and didn’t hold the depth of some of the scenes like the author appears to intend; however, this should not critically hinder the enjoyment of the novel. If you are a reader of paranormal fiction and urban fantasy, you may enjoy this book. With this being the first installment in the Skydancer series, readers can jump right in.
An audiobook was provided to Turning Another Page by Audiobookworm Promotions and in no way affects the honesty of this review. We provide a four-star rating for Rain of Ash by Gwen Mitchell.
➜Sign up as a host here